Thursday, July 21, 2005

thinking of....

the most important lesson of my life.. haha.. yeah right! at the very least an important lesson of my life .. :)

Read on.. :)

"The time given to you was more than sufficient! And this is all you can show me?" the teacher screeched angrily. Surreptiously, I stole a glance at the white donation card clutched between my trembling fingers.

At the top right hand corner, it was printed in capital letters as if shouting out my crime for the world to see.

"TOTAL AMOUNT COLLECTED: SIX DOLLARS ONLY."

That was reason behind the hurling lecture I was now painfully receiving.

The teacher refused to believe I had only managed to muster a measly six dollars for our school's month long donation drive. Truthfully speaking, it was entirely my fault. Studying, attending two camps and the bi-annual shopping spree with my mother had robbed me of those four weeks. It was the last minute discovery of a white donation card innocently poking out of my perpetually messy folder that sent me into frenzy.

Even so it was too late, my neighbours' donation coupled together with the rest of my middling savings made up little. I had submitted my card and the money with great apprehension.

Thus I took the brunt of that whooping lecture. Resigned to my fate, I patiently listened to her incessant ranting, giving monosyllabic replies at appropriate junctures. Then like an unexpected flash of lightening on a stuffy afternoon, her first thunderbolt struck.

"You know, this really reflects on your love for our school," the teacher snapped testily while shooting me a dirty look.

Stunned, I raised up my head to meet her accusing glare. My docile nods of agreement ceased.

Oblivious to my incredulity, she rambled on to deliver the bombshell. She questioned reproachfully, "After all the school has done for you, is this is how you show your gratitude?"

Those words buzzed in my mind like a swarm of angry hornets. My head was throbbing; my eyes ablaze and slowly my limp fingers clenched together forming a tight fist of fury.

Immediately a hurricane of thoughts swept through my mind.

"She can’t be right!" an indignant voice shouted.

"Love cannot be measured by money." another proclaimed self-righteously.

"She’s just an old hag sprouting nonsense. Pay no heed!" a reedy voice piped.

"Put her down. Tell her how narrow minded she is. Tell her she is wrong!" all three chorused simultaneously. My mouth opened a fraction, ready to launch into a tirade. I was determined to redeem myself.

Then a gentle voice whispered, "There is truth in what she says, you know. Remember the times you actually glimpsed that donation card but pretended you didn't see? Those times you were momentarily reminded of your commitment but decided to leave it till tomorrow? Your mother nagged you to get it done but wasn't her advice brushed aside by your excuses?"

Memories flooded my mind and I was left with no choice but to acknowledge this was not caused by a mere problem of forgetfulness.

"It makes sense, doesn't it? Of course, not to bothering to solicit for the donations doesn't necessarily mean you don't love your school but doesn't it reflect on your attitude towards helping the school?" it urged, drowning the incoherent yells of disapproval from the its disgruntled companions.

I never got to defend myself from her accusations. The raging flames had been downed by pearly tears prickling my eyelashes. I was no longer the defiant lass who wanted to correct her teacher's blinkered assumptions. My head was now lowered and I continued listening.

Later on, this all too familiar phrase came back to me. Remember our mothers, fathers, teachers and even friends saying this in the most patronizing and irritating way?

"Don't be rash. Think before you act."

Well, think again!

Like the majority of people who seldom heed advice in the form of pretentious sounding proverbs, I never took those words of caution seriously before. But now I can finally understand and appreciate its meaning.

If I had argued and even won my teacher that fateful afternoon, I would have missed out on knowing more about myself. By keeping mum and recognizing my failings, I got a far better deal than I had hoped for. Not only did I managed to get rid of those faults, but I have also progressed as a person---both mentally and emotionally.

As for that teacher whom I remain grateful to till this day, I still feel she got lucky with me. However, she might not the next time around......

If she does not think before she speaks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home